This chicken pie is a favourite in my family and I’m sure
you’ll love it too. Go the extra mile and make your own tomato relish – it’s worth it.
Makes 1 family-size pie
- 1 size 12 free-range chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 leek
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 300ml milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Tomato relish (see below), to serve
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, then rub with 2 tbsp olive oil and season. Place chicken in a roasting dish and roast for 1 hour or until juices run clear. Allow to cool slightly before removing skin and picking off all the meat. Keep the chicken carcass to make stock.
- Thinly slice the leek, rinse and saute in a large saucepan until soft. Set aside. Saute garlic in butter until soft. Stir in flour and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually pour in milk, stirring well. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes to thicken sauce. Add leek, chicken meat, peas and mustard, stirring well.
- Spray a large pie dish with cooking spray and lay a sheet of pastry on the bottom. Spoon in chicken mix. Whisk together egg and 1 tbsp milk to make egg wash. Lay the second sheet of pastry over the top and press the two sheets together around the edges. Prick the top with a fork and brush with egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with homemade tomato relish and rocket leaves.
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about one third.
Take a look at this mushroom, chicken and leek pie recipe here.