Ready in 75 minutes, serves 4.
This is filling yet light, perfect for a romantic evening.
- 150g dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 chicken Marylands
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6-8 potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 200ml chicken stock
- 250ml dry white wine
1. Cover dried mushrooms with boiling water and leave to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes. Take out mushrooms with a slotted spoon and strain the liquid through a muslin cloth to remove grit. Put liquid and mushrooms aside.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C on fan bake.
3. Cut drumsticks off the Maryland pieces and halve the thighs. Score drumsticks several times and place all the chicken into a baking dish.
4. Scatter celery and fennel seeds around chicken. Then add the potatoes, reserved mushroom pieces, garlic and fresh rosemary.
5. Cover chicken with stock, wine and the reserved mushroom water.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and drain most of the liquid into a saucepan. Reduce to about ¾ cup of liquid. Return chicken to the oven and cook about 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is cooked.
7. Pour over the reduced stock and serve with a crisp salad and green vegetables.
When in season and if your budget allows, use 1 to 2 bulbs of fresh fennel instead of celery.