I smoked the chicken for these patties, which gave it an amazing flavour. If you don’t have a smoker or don’t want to smoke it, then cooking it on an open flame on the barbecue is just as good.
- 130ml warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 8g fresh yeast
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 100g white flour
- 100g kumara, peeled, roasted and mashed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup untreated sawdust for smoking
- ½ telegraph cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tsp chopped mint
- 4 tbsp plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp aubergine pickle (or chutney of your choice)
- ¼ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
FOR THE BUNS
1. Place warm water, olive oil, sugar and salt in a warm bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over mixture and continue stirring to blend in yeast. Stir in wholemeal flour and half the white flour, or sufficient to make a thick batter. Beat until smooth. Add kumara and remaining flour and mix to form a dough.
2. Turn out onto a board and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth.
3. Place dough in a bowl sprayed with oil and turn over to coat all sides. Cover with plastic film and eave to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
4. After dough has risen, punch down, knead again and form dough into 4 buns. Leave to double in size. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place buns on a baking tray.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes.
FOR THE CHICKEN
1. Brush chicken thighs with mustard. Cover and leave in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow flavours to penetrate.
2. Place some untreated sawdust in a heavy-based pan, then place a rack on top of the pan. Put chicken on the rack and cover pan with aluminium foil and then a lid.
3. Place pan on element, turn heat to high and leave until smoke appears. Then turn off heat and leave for 8 minutes.
4. Heat a ridged pan to hot. Cook smoked chicken for 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove and cool.
FOR THE TZATZIKI
1. Mix all ingredients together.
Slice buns in half and spread base with aubergine pickle. Slice each chicken thigh in half on the diagonal and place on pickle. Add a dollop of tzatziki, then finish with alfalfa sprouts, tomato sauce and bun top.