Meal Type Chicken
Total time 30 minutes
Meal Origin Kiwi
This 1970s-style, zingy little poached chicken is cooked in its own sauce in no time at all.
For this dish, we paid $12.62 at Countdown for four chicken breasts which weighed in at just over 1kg. The same dish can also be made with boneless chicken legs.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon or
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- Salt and milled black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a wide-bottomed saucepan. Add the chicken breasts, skin side down. Cook gently without browning on both sides for about 5 minutes in total.
2. Sprinkle in the flour. Mix well before adding the lemon zest and juice and tarragon, followed by the chicken stock.
3. Cover the saucepan and place over a very gentle heat for 20 minutes so that the sauce barely bubbles. Check the chicken breasts are cooked – they should be very firm to the touch and the juices should run clear if a skewer is inserted.
4. Stir in the crème fraîche or sour cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Annabelle was born and raised in New Zealand and while she does not have formal chef’s training her love of “great honest cooking” came from watching her mother cook every day after school.
more of this author