This may be super-simple but the flavours from the chicken and bacon work wonders with the tomato. Serve with mash, pasta or couscous. It would be ideal for a dinner party too, with crusty bread and a simple salad.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, plus rosemary sprigs to garnish
- 2 tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 8 slices eggplant
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 slices streaky bacon, halved
- Grated Parmesan, creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal greens, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil and saute onion, garlic and rosemary for 2-3 minutes until softened and fragrant, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil and sear the eggplant slices on both sides. Lay a slice of eggplant on each chicken thigh and wrap with bacon (secure with a toothpick if needed).
- Pour half the tomato mixture into an oven and freezer-proof dish and add the wrapped chicken in a single layer. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce around the chicken.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until chicken and bacon are well coloured and the juices run clear. Sprinkle with Parmesan and rosemary sprigs.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal greens.