Total time90 minutes
- 1¾ cups wholemeal flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 175ml vegetable oil, such as sunflower or rice bran oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ¾ cup firmly-packed soft brown sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- Cream cheese icing (recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 140C fan bake. Grease a 22cm ring tin. Place dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine eggs, oil and vanilla in another bowl and beat to combine. Add both sugars and the sour cream and beat to combine, then stir in the grated carrots.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
4. Cool in the cake tin for one hour 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Ice with cream cheese icing once cold.
Cream cheese icing
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. In a bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add the icing sugar, lemon zest and juice and beat until the mixture is fluffy.
2. Spread over cold carrot cake to serve. Serves 16.