The ingredients of the flavoured butter used in this breakfast are a delicious combination – add as little or as much chilli as you like. When you have limes on hand, try the butter with lime, coriander and chilli, or if you have lemons, use rosemary and garlic.
- 4 rashers bacon, cut into strips
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 field mushrooms
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- ½ cup LEMON, CHILLI AND GARLIC BUTTER
LEMON, CHILLI AND GARLIC BUTTER
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zest and 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tsp red chilli, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, chopped – Italian parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage etc
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- Combine all the butter ingredients in a bowl and beat well together.
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Arrange bacon in strips, the tomatoes cut-side up, the mushrooms gill-side up and bread in a single layer.
- Spoon over or brush bread, mushrooms and tomatoes generously with the lemon, chilli and garlic butter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until all is cooked and bacon is crispy. Serve with rocket or baby spinach if desired.
About Jo Wilcox
"I have had a love of food my whole life. Lucky for me my mum allowed me to play in the kitchen from the very beginning – from sitting up on the bench watch her peeling peaches for preserving or planning dinner parties from her many Womans Weekly Cookbooks. Starting in my local beach café, I went onto professional cookery training and my big foodie OE working as a professional chef and nanny. At 21 I launched my first restaurant. The following years saw me owning a gourmet cake and dessert shop and then a pasta deli before I discovered the world of food styling. Today I work in food styling making food look beautiful and tasty in packaging and advertising shoots, as well as my most important role yet – Food Editor of New Zealand Woman’s Weekly. I aim to provide great meal solutions that are interesting and approachable, and of course gorgeous foodie photos that make you want to cook them! I love the feedback and the knowledge that people actually cook them and have great results. If I can give someone a love of cooking and enjoying family meal times and gatherings then my job is done!" See www.jowilcox.co.nzmore of this author