The ingredients of the flavoured butter used in this breakfast are a delicious combination – add as little or as much chilli as you like. When you have limes on hand, try the butter with lime, coriander and chilli, or if you have lemons, use rosemary and garlic.
- 4 rashers bacon, cut into strips
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 field mushrooms
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- ½ cup LEMON, CHILLI AND GARLIC BUTTER
LEMON, CHILLI AND GARLIC BUTTER
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zest and 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tsp red chilli, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, chopped – Italian parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage etc
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- Combine all the butter ingredients in a bowl and beat well together.
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Arrange bacon in strips, the tomatoes cut-side up, the mushrooms gill-side up and bread in a single layer.
- Spoon over or brush bread, mushrooms and tomatoes generously with the lemon, chilli and garlic butter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until all is cooked and bacon is crispy. Serve with rocket or baby spinach if desired.