Total time20 minutes
Ready in 20 minutes, serves 4.
- 1 leek, trimmed and well washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Sea salt and milled pepper
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 heaped cup Swiss or cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 slices buttered Vogel’s toast, crust removed
- 4 boiled eggs
1. Thinly slice the washed leek, discard the core and the end part of the dark green leaves.
2. Heat the olive oil and water in a saucepan. Add the sliced leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook over a medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes until properly wilted. Drain off the excess water and cool.
3. When ready to serve, cut the rashers of bacon in half and grill or pan fry until crispy.
4. Mix the cooled leek togetherwith the grated cheese and lightly beaten egg. Divide the mixture into four and thickly spread onto each piece of toast. Cut each in half, then toast under a moderately hot grill until lightly golden. Top each “soldier” with grilled bacon.
5. Serve with boiled eggs to your liking, a little sea salt and milled pepper.