My mission is to convince Kiwis that the fast food they love can be healthy, fresh and taste great.
- 500g premium lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 courgette, grated
- ½ beetroot, grated
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp curry powder (cumin, coriander, chilli)
- 3 egg whites
MIKE’S AWESOME SAUCE
- 2 soft-boiled eggs
- 4 shallots, sliced and sauteed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 4 wholemeal buns
- 2 heads baby cos lettuce,
- finely sliced
- 4 gherkins, each sliced into 4
FOR THE PATTIES
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Form into 8 patties.
3. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot and brown the patties on both sides. Place on a baking tray.
4. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes.
FOR THE SAUCE
1. Boil eggs for 5 minutes exactly, then run under cold water until cold. Peel carefully.
2. Place eggs, shallots, honey, tomato puree and stock in a food processor. Process to combine. With the motor running, gradually add oil while processing to form an emulsion.
3. Remove from food processor and add gherkins. Set aside.
Slice buns into 3. Add Mike’s Awesome Sauce, patty, lettuce and gherkin on each bun base. Repeat with a second patty on each bun middle. Finish with bun tops.
Think about the fast food you buy, how much you eat, when you eat it, and when you could cook it at home instead.
When you are in a hurry, throw together a toasted sandwich with any leftovers from the fridge – try one with lamb, kumara, pumpkin and some parmesan.