These meringues are a real treat. If you can’t find strawberry powder, swirl in 1 tablespoon of runny strawberry jam instead. It won’t be quite as pretty, but will taste divine. Serve with plenty of cream and berry sauce, or sandwich together with whipped cream.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp strawberry powder
- (from food stores or online)
- 1 cup mixed berry jam
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Preheat the oven to 120ºC. Line two trays with baking paper.
- In a very clean electric mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until white, foamy and holding medium peaks. Slowly sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of caster sugar at a time, while beating until thick, white and glossy – this will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the strawberry powder and carefully fold into the meringue, leaving ripples and swirls.
- Dollop spoonfuls onto the trays, leaving a little room for them to expand. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 100ºC for the last 40 minutes or until dry and hollow-feeling. Turn off heat and leave to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- For berry sauce, simmer the jam with ¾ cup water until warm and glossy.
- Serve meringues with cream and berry sauce.