Total time45 minutes
Ready in 45 minutes, serves 4.
- 8 baby beetroots, roasted and quartered
- 1 pomegranate, halved
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jam, warmed
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20ml sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 duck breasts
- 2 tbsp garlic herb salt
- 1 cup fennel bulb, sliced
- 250g goats’ cheese
- Salt and pepper
1. Place beetroot in a large bowl.
2. Gently press each pomegranate half over a juicer to extract juice. Place juice and seeds into a small bowl. Add warmed jam, oil, sherry vinegar and mustard. Mix well then pour over the beetroot.
3. Preheat oven to 190ºC. Heat an ovenproof nonstick pan. Season duck with garlic herb salt then cook for 10 minutes, skin side down. Turn, then cook for another 5 minutes. Transfer pan to the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to rest.
4. Add fennel and goats’ cheese to the beetroot mixture and toss. Thinly slice duck. Divide salad between 4 plates and add the duck. Season and serve.
To roast baby beets, wash and trim them (do not peel). Put in foil parcels, add a little orange juice and butter, season and cook at 180ºC till tender. Check after 40 minutes.