Total time3 hours
Ready in 3 hours, serves 4-6.
A simple tasty favourite that can be served hot with potatoes, braised cabbage and a mustard sauce, or cold in sandwiches with pickle.
- 1.2kg piece of corned beef
- 1 litre beer*
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
1. Place corned beef in a heavy stock pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
2. Discard the water, then rinse out the pot.
3. Place beef back in the pot with the beer and garlic. *You will need to add water to the pot to ensure the meat is covered in liquid throughout the cooking process.
4. Cover, keeping lid slightly askew. Bring to a rolling boil and then simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
5. Turn off the heat and leave beef to sit in the liquid for 30 minutes before slicing and serving. In the test kitchen we left the beef and liquid covered in the fridge overnight, and then reheated it.
6. Serve with mustard, lightly cooked cabbage with caraway seeds, mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.