This has to be the way to a man’s heart – seared steak and tangy Béarnaise sauce. Change the salad ingredients to suit your taste or add a little cheddar cheese to the mix. If your Béarnaise splits, never fear – whisking in a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise should bring it back.
- 2 beef steaks, sirloin, scotch or fillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper seasoning
- Lettuce leaves
- Beetroot slices
- Cucumber, sliced
- 2 vine tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 rosemary stalk
- 2 egg yolks
- 150g butter, melted
- 4 soft bread rolls
- Oven baked fries, to serve
- Brush the beef with oil and season well. Sear the steaks on both sides until medium rare or cooked to your liking, then rest before cutting. Prepare the salad ingredients.
- For the Béarnaise, simmer the vinegar, onion and rosemary until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Strain off the liquid and place in a glass or stainless steel bowl with the egg yolks. Whisk
over a saucepan of boiling water until foamy and pale. Gradually add the butter while whisking until thick and creamy.
- Slice the steaks into strips and place into rolls with the salad ingredients.
Drizzle over the Béarnaise and season with cracked pepper and sea salt. Serve with oven- baked fries and tomato sauce.