This creamy caramel rice pudding is even easy enough for the kids to make and they love it if you let them add a few chocolate chips to the mix!
The quick-seared bananas and pecans add the texture and gooey sweetness, so all that’s needed is a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of cream to serve.
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 1 can caramel condensed milk
- 2½ cups milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 sliced bananas
- ½ cup cream
- 30g butter
- 2 small bananas
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- Combine rice, condensed milk, milk and cinnamon in a large serving dish or slow cooker, then mix until smooth. Stir in the sliced banana.
- Cook, covered, at 160oC for 3 hours in the oven, stirring once or twice, or 3½ hours in the slow cooker, stirring once until the rice is tender (al dente). Then stir in the cream.
- Just before serving, melt the butter in a frying pan and sear the bananas and pecans for 2-3 minutes. Add the honey and water, then let simmer for a minute until syrupy.
- Serve the caramel rice topped with the hot honey bananas and serve with cream or ice cream on the side.
Take a look at this caramel meringue tart recipe here.