These are so easy to whip up. They’re great for breakfast or brunch, as a lunch with salad greens and feta, or alongside a meaty roast. Make sure you generously cover the spinach leaves with the pine nut mixture to stop them drying out.
- 8 fat field mushrooms
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil or spray oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1½ cups panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Remove the firm core from the mushrooms and arrange on a lined baking tray. Top each with a small handful of spinach leaves and drizzle or spray with oil.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter and add the onion. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add herbs and stir in the salt, breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
- Divide the pinenut mixture between the mushrooms. Mound it up to cover the spinach leaves. Drizzle or spray with a little more oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and mushrooms are tender when pierced with a knife.