Total time60 minutes
Ready in 1 hour, serves 6.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 375ml evaporated milk
- 100g cream cheese
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC. In the middle of the oven, place a deep tray with 2 to 3cm of hot water.
2. Put 1 cup of sugar and 3 tbsp of water in a small pan. Cook to caramelise over a high heat until a bronze colour is reached, then immediately pour 1/2 cup of the caramel into your chosen ramekins to set.
3. Mix the remainder of the ingredients in an electric blender and pour into the caramel ramekins.
4. Place the ramekins into the hot water in the oven.
5. Bake for around 50 minutes or until set. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean it is done. Take the tray out of the oven and let cool.
6. Cover the cooled ramekins and put in the refrigerator. When cold, turn upside down onto a plate. Slice and serve.
To release the custard from the ramekin, it sometimes helps to run the tip of a small knife around the outside before turning it upside down.