28th January, in Recipes
- 400g store-bought puff pastry
- 300g rindless bacon, cut in thirds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tbsp cold water, to glaze
1. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to 3mm thick and use to line a shallow 24cm pie tin. Lay half the bacon over the pastry base. Scatter with the peas. Break the eggs into the pastry case and season with salt and pepper. Place remaining bacon over the eggs.
2. Roll out remaining pastry and use as a lid to cover the pie. Crimp the edges of the pastry together. Trim and decorate pastry as desired and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C. Brush the pastry lid with the egg glaze. Bake pie for 45 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
It’s important to refrigerate the finished pie before cooking to allow the pastry to rest and therefore avoid shrinkage during cooking.