Total time45 minutes
- 50g hazelnuts
- Cooking spray or oil
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 crisp eating apple like Royal Gala Small knob of butter
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple or maple syrup
- 100g blueberries or boysenberries, frozen
- or fresh 130g bag of salad greens 1 spring onion, finely
- chopped, or 2 tbsp fresh
- chives, finely chopped 2 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Toast the hazelnuts by placing them on a baking sheet and bake for around 5-7 minutes, until just golden. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, rub the hazelnuts together vigorously in a tea towel to remove their skins. Chop the skinless hazelnuts roughly (don’t worry if some skin remains on them.)
2. Spray the pan with oil, or add a dash of oil, and fry the bacon until crisp. Pat with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
3. Core and slice the apple lengthways.
4. Add the butter to the pan and sauté the apple slices over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes, until just coloured. Remove to a warm plate.
5. Put the vinegar and apple syrup in the pan and just heat through. Add the fresh or frozen berries, stir and remove from the heat.
6. Dress the greens and chives or spring onion in olive oil. Scatter over the bacon, apple and hazelnuts, then trickle over the berries and hot salad dressing. Serve immediately.