As the weather warms, it’s time to replace winter’s rich, creamy lipsticks with lighter glosses, sheer glazes, gels and stains in fresher shades. A pretty new lip colour is the ultimate pick-me-up.
Need to know:
● Lipsticks are mostly composed of hard and soft waxes, oils for shine and pigments for colour. Formulas that are rich in softer waxes tend to give more transparent coverage and a glossier look.
● Sheer lippies can be a great way to ease yourself into wearing bolder shades. They’re also perfect for anyone that doesn’t like the thick feeling of creamy or matte products.
● Test shades on the fingertips, rather than the back of your hand, as they’re closer to your lip colour. If you really can’t decide, hold shades up to your face and choose the one that pops the most.
● If you have fair skin with cool undertones, you’ll look great with fuchsia on the lips, whatever your age. Warmer- toned complexions should go for peachy and coral pinks.
● Use a lip brush to apply brighter colours, as they need precision.
● If bleed is a problem, stick to creamy matte lipsticks and add a little gloss on the top.
● For a longer-lasting look, press lipstick in with your finger to form a stain. Then apply more colour with a brush.
● If you’re using gloss over lipstick, try applying it just at the centre of the lips to emphasise the cupid’s bow.
● If you’re wearing a bright pink lip, tone down the rest of your make-up. Neutral shades on the eyes, eyeliner, mascara and a light foundation ought to be enough.
2 Youngblood Mighty Shiny Lip Gel in Flaunt $56.90 – shimmery tropical pink and a moisturising, non-sticky gel formula.
3 The Body Shop Colour Crush in Red Hot Raspberry 201 $27 – light and moisturising.
4 Innoxa Antioxidant Lip Glaze in Berry $19.95 – contains nourishing antioxidants.
5 Revlon Super lustrous Lip Gloss in Fuchsia Finery $24.50 – a light gloss to slick over the top of your lipstick for a high-shine look.
6 Maybelline NY Color Whisper Lipstick in Pink Possibilities $14.99 – a gel formula for subtle colour.
7 Avon Ultra Glazewear Lip Gloss in Pink Watermelon $12.99 – non-sticky and easy on the budget.
8 Clinique Chubby Stick in Roomiest Rose $40 – a lip crayon that blends moisturising balm with colour pigments.
9 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Sorbet $24.50 – shiny and conditioning.
10 L’OrÉal Paris Infallible Two Step Longwear Lipstick in Flawless Fuchsia $29.99 – a lipstick/gloss hybrid.
11 Dr Hauschka Lipstick in Miraculous Rose $49 – the natural pick for a transparent sheen of colour.
About Nicky Pellegrino
Nicky Pellegrino has been a journalist for over 20 years, both here and in the UK, and is a former editor of New Zealand Woman's Weekly. These days, as well as working on the magazine's beauty pages, she writes popular novels like Recipe For LIfe, The Italian Wedding and The Villa Girls. For more about Nicky check out her website www.nickypellegrino.commore of this author