1) The faux bob – Cate blanchett
This is a great way for stars, such as Cate Blanchett, to take their long locks shorter.
• To create, you need a hair elastic, lots of bobby pins, a brush and hairspray, plus hair irons. Your technique depends on the style of your hair.
• If it’s one-length, iron hair straight and divide into two sections from ear to ear and clip the top one away. Braid the bottom section and pin flat against the head (or create a tight bun). Backcomb the top section for volume, spritz with hairspray and smooth the top. • Secure into a low, loose ponytail with an elastic – it can cover your ears at the sides or be tucked behind them. Fold the end underneath the braid and pin in place.
• For vintage waves, create some curls with tongs in the top section before clipping it out of the way and creating the braid. Break up the curls with your fingers before pulling back and pinning under. You could also roll up and pin all the way around, but you’ll need loads of bobby pins.
2) Bright eyes – Lupita Nyong’o
Lupita Nyong’o’s blue eyeshadow had the wow factor at the SAG Awards. If lashings of lid colour seems too 1970s diva, then dial down the look with coloured mascara.
MAC False Lashes Mascara $48 is available in colours, such as Blue Charge.
For more intensity pair with a blue eyeliner.
3) Hot lips – Helen Mirren
Orange is the new red when it comes to lips and Helen Mirren and Amy Adams nailed it at this year’s SAG Awards.
Find the right shade for your complexion – pinky orange tends to suit fair skins; bright orange works for medium-tone complexions; peachy orange is best for olive skin.
Texture counts too – if you want subtle, go sheer and shiny.
Generally, the more matte the lipstick, the bolder it will look.
About Nicky Pellegrino
Nicky Pellegrino has been a journalist for over 20 years, both here and in the UK, and is a former editor of New Zealand Woman's Weekly. These days, as well as working on the magazine's beauty pages, she writes popular novels like Recipe For LIfe, The Italian Wedding and The Villa Girls. For more about Nicky check out her website www.nickypellegrino.commore of this author