WHO SUITS PURPLE?
L’Oréal Paris makeup director Lisa Matson says eyeshadow shades from the purple family are often known as a universal colour – they tend to suit all eye shades and skin tones – but they look stunning on women with green, brown or hazel eyes.
“The most important thing is that the colour shouldn’t overpower your eye shade. Keep it subtle by wearing one shade only in a soft wash over the lids or wearing it as an eyeliner. Try blending brights with complementary shades. Anything that is unblended or crooked will stand out and not in a good way.”
Lisa tells us how to use the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Les Ombres Eyeshadow in Eau De Rose $29.99. “For a soft subtle look, apply the mid-toned matt pink shade over eyelids and up into socket. “Then, apply a wash of the lightest shade along the brow bone. Take the burgundy accent and smudge it close to the lash line, top and bottom, and around outer edge of eye corners. To get a little more depth along the lashes, apply a thin line of the shade using a damp liner brush.
“If your eyes aren’t deep set, you could opt for colouring your whole lid, up into the socket, with the burgundy colour, followed by a touch of the shimmer pink to mid lid only and/or inner eye corners.”
Apply eye shadow in layers using a pressing motion.
NEED TO KNOW
- Violets, aubergines and mauves tend to flatter brown, hazel and green eyes.
- Dusty lilacs, bluish lavenders and pinky purples tend to enhance blue and grey eyes.
- Rich purple complements most skin tones.
- Pinky purples can actually emphasise under-eye circles, so you may need to use concealer or a light-reflecting pen to blend them.
- Purples can be combined with neutrals such as golds, tans, taupes and browns.
- A glossy pinky nude lip works well with purple eyes.
About Nicky Pellegrino
Nicky Pellegrino has been a journalist for over 20 years, both here and in the UK, and is a former editor of New Zealand Woman's Weekly. These days, as well as working on the magazine's beauty pages, she writes popular novels like Recipe For LIfe, The Italian Wedding and The Villa Girls. For more about Nicky check out her website www.nickypellegrino.commore of this author