NZ Woman's Weekly

The weight debate – Adele

The weight debate – Adele

In our latest issue Adele tells that there’s more to her than her weight. On the night of the Oscars, Fashion Police host Joan Rivers joked: “On Sunday night you could easily pick Adele’s Oscar statuette out of a lineup.  It was the only one wearing Spanx” but the singer laughed off the comments and gave this inspiring message:

“Embrace your curves sisters, don’t diet unless your health or sex life is affected and most of all be happy with who you are.”

Instead, many of us remain miserable about the way we look.

“Our body image has to be the Achilles heel of too many women.” writes Weekly editor Louise Wright.

Do you agree with Louise?  Fill in our poll and tell us how you feel about your body.

How do you feel about your body?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About Marilynn McLachlan

Online editor for the New Zealand Woman's Weekly

more of this author

10 Responses to “The weight debate – Adele”

1. hagnrz Apr 14 2013, 12:29pm

I have struggled with my weight since my mid 20s when the pressure of work meant my time for exercise disappeared. That, I discovered, had been the only thing keeping PCOS from using my hormones against me. Once the weight went on I have been unable to shift it, with both diets (the only two that worked in small amounts were Atkins and Weight Watchers CORE programme) and exercise being painfully slow. Now I exercise because I want to for my health rather than to lose weight. I am also lucky to have a husband who loves me as I am and continually tells me I am beautiful. What better self esteem builder could I ask for? Have to say I was shocked at the horridness of Ms Rivers!

2. NovelistNZ Apr 12 2013, 8:00am

You forgot one option on the vote. ‘Depends on the day’ Lol. Mostly, I’m happy with the way I look. Its only on the odd days that I wear something that’s a little too fitting that I get despondent, but as I get older I learn to let it go and realise its not that important in the larger scheme of things. There are most certainly bigger things to concern ourselves with. I remember when Joan made this comment. I wrote an article for an online News Paper about the Oscar’s. I seethed at Joan Rivers and applauded Adele. I made the comment, specifically in relation to this, that at least Adele was all just her, whereas Miss Rivers was more plastic than skin. I can’t stand Joan Rivers.

3. Ingrid11 Mar 23 2013, 8:37am

Why oh why do we all have to look like stick insects?????? Just because the Holiwood fad is to fall through ones own a@#% why do we feel we have to follow suite? Aren’t we all individuals? Wouldn’t the world be a boring place if we all look like beanpoles? Not to mention weight watchers and co going under in a flash if nobody wants to loose a couple of kg’s!! Come on, live a little, everything in moderation, life is to short to watch everything we put into our mouths!! YOU GO ADELE, someone should stand up for the fuller figure and who can say she(Adele) isn’t beautiful?!

4. julie Mar 15 2013, 4:29pm

ooooppps just realised that the first reply DID GO THROUGH….sorry

5. julie Mar 15 2013, 4:29pm

since I turned 50 and THAT switch went off and my body started moving south I have not liked what I saw in the mirror….no matter how much I exercised or dieted…BUT I started a new job at SHAPEUP CENTRE in Dunedin and have become addicted to the machines. I use them 5 days a week and have lost 34.2 cms (just over 13 inches) in 4 weeks….NOW when I look at my body I am soooo much happier and I get paid to do ….love my job lol

6. julie Mar 15 2013, 4:27pm

I used to really dislike parts of my body….since I hit the 50 mark that switch was turn off and my tummy and legs went south….but I have started working at SHAPE UP CENTRE Dunedin and have become addicted to the machines and have lost 34.1 cms (13.4 inches) in 4 weeks (mind you I use them 5 days a week)…now when I look in a mirror I am soooo much happier….what a fab job I have lol

7. robprice Mar 10 2013, 11:03am

As I age, I do not want to look older than I am, but am unsure how to disguise my thickening figure and still look and feel good. I do not wish to be a stick figure, but am not happy with how I am and try to cover up but never really know if what I wear looks good on me!!

8. nzwomenevie Mar 9 2013, 9:07am

When I was younger I cared about my body looking skinny but as you get older you get passed it and just accept things for what they are.

9. laura_actually Mar 7 2013, 10:06pm

It was refreshing to see Adele on the cover this week,, she is the perfect weight for her frame, and a great role model for healthy body image.

10. heather.willis226@gmail.com Mar 7 2013, 9:47pm

Nearly 7 years ago at the age of 50,due to al life of yo yo dieting and looming health problems, I had gastric bypass surgery. It’s changed my life. It’s definitely not an easy option and requires dedication and hard work, especially learning to love your body, the surgery is only a tool the main driving force is the brain and many years of dissatisfaction with oneself. I applaud Adele for being proud of herself in this critical world we live in it can’t be easy continually in the spotlight.

Oct-27-2014-issue

Fergie's back and better than ever!

In this week's issue of the New Zealand Woman's Weekly, Fergie’s back and the Queen’s new favourite!

New Zealand Woman's Weekly is the country's most-loved women's magazine, bringing a wide variety of news, stories, recipes and helpful hints to the home every week.

Receive the latest celebrity news, recipes and beauty tips, delivered right to your inbox.